Time for Outdoor Springtime Activities
It’s March and the beginning of spring means the weather is warming up allowing more outdoor activities. In the last week or two, my children have been more active playing outside and with outdoor activities. Spring allows for more time for the family to do things together outdoors enjoying the weather and nature. Family activities together build relationships and family memories you will share and reshare over time.
This weekend our family was busy with outdoor time. First, on Saturday, we cleaned the yard and planted some more vegetables to our garden (see my Spring Garden post here). We added cherry tomatoes, yellow squash, cucumbers and spinach to the garden.
Sunday, it was also sunny and warm. The girls decided they wanted to go swimming at the pool. I don’t usually swim this early in the season because the water is not warm enough, but I was surprised to find the water temperature was very nice (of course, it was a heated pool and both the pool water and outside temperature were both about 82 degrees).
Spring is a great time to spend a little extra time outside before the heat of summer.
9 Fun Outdoor Activities to Try this Spring
- Visit a park and explore new nature trails. Exploring trails in parks can be fun. It’s like solving a mystery. Where does the trail lead and what will you find along the way? Have a scavenger hunt along the way.
- Have a cookout and enjoy the sunset. About an hour before sunset, put your favorite dinner on the grill. Then enjoy your dinner and the sunset.
- Go fishing in the ponds or lakes near your home. Maybe catch something for dinner.
- Hunt Easter eggs (you only do this once a year – repeat 2 or 3 times just for fun). Try to get your older children involved by including small amounts of change (nickels, dimes and quarters) in the eggs. One of my friends says putting money in the eggs could cost less than candy, and it’s better for their teeth.
- Visit the zoo. Look for new animals you haven’t seen before. Have a family challenge to see who can pronounce the scientific names of the animals best.
- Plant a garden ~ flowers, vegetables, or fruit. Choose your favorite flowers and update the flowerbeds at your home. Or start planting your own fruits and vegetables. Now, is a great time to start a vegetable garden.
- Catch a butterfly on your finger. Be careful, you must keep your finger steady and be gentle the butterfly is delicate. They are fun to watch and interesting to study their different colors.
- Go to a drive-in movie or watch a movie outside on the lawn (if your community offers outdoor movie viewings). Take your lawn chairs and sit under stars while you enjoy your next movie.
- Camp-out in your backyard and identify the constellations and other celestial bodies.
Spring allows us a chance to see nature blooming and bright again after the cold of winter. The temperatures are just right for all your favorite outdoor activities. Don’t stay indoors this weekend get and start enjoying spring.
What outdoor activities are you planning this spring?