It’s March and the beginning of spring means the weather is warming up allowing more outdoor activities. In the last week or two, my children have been more active playing outside and with outdoor activities. Spring allows for more time for the family to do things together outdoors enjoying the weather and nature. Doing family activities together builds relationships and family memories you will share and reshare over time.
This weekend our family was busy with outdoor time. We went to the annual Strawberry Festival (a fair that celebrates strawberries). Now is a great time to start a garden (see my Spring Garden post here). A few easy vegetables to start a garden with are cherry tomatoes, yellow squash, cucumbers, and spinach.
If your kids are on spring break, these are great ideas your whole family can enjoy during spring break. Many of them are inexpensive and will get your get outside and get them active.
Spring is a great time to spend a little extra time outside before the heat of summer.
15 Fun Outdoor Activities to Try this Spring
- Visit a park and explore new nature trails. Exploring trails in parks can be fun. It’s like solving a mystery. Where does the trail lead and what will you find along the way? Make it more fun with a scavenger hunt along the way.
- Have a cookout and enjoy the sunset. About an hour before sunset, put your favorite dinner on the grill. Then enjoy your dinner and the sunset.
- Go fishing in the ponds or lakes near your home. Maybe catch something for dinner. My kids love to go fishing. It’s become one of their favorite outside activities.
- Hunt Easter eggs (you only do this once a year on Easter, but you can repeat 2 or 3 times just for fun). Try to get your older children involved by including small amounts of change (nickels, dimes and quarters) in the eggs. One of my friends says putting money in the eggs could cost less than candy, and it’s better for their teeth.
- Visit the zoo. Look for new animals you haven’t seen before. Have a family challenge to see who can pronounce the scientific names of the animals best.
- Plant a garden ~ flowers, vegetables, or fruit. Choose your favorite flowers and update the flowerbeds at your home. Or start planting your own fruits and vegetables. Early spring is the perfect time to start a vegetable garden.
- Catch a butterfly on your finger. Be careful, you must keep your finger steady and be gentle the butterfly is delicate. They are fun to watch and interesting to study their different colors.
- Go to a drive-in movie or watch a movie outside on the lawn (if your community offers outdoor movie viewings). Take your lawn chairs and sit under stars while you enjoy your next movie.
- Camp-out in your backyard and identify the constellations and other celestial bodies in the sky.
- Pick wildflowers and make a bouquet (see how many different colors can you find).
- Chase fireflies after at dusk and watch them light up.
- Have a water balloon fight, try not to get wet. Water balloon fights are fun and an easy way to cool off if it’s a hot spring day.
- Roast marshmallows and eat smores on a campfire. After all your fun activities during the day, make a campfire and enjoy roasted marshmallows and smores.
- If it’s a windy day, fly your kites. See who can fly their kite the highest and keep it up in the air the longest.
- Water gun/nerf gun fights are always fun. Make teams, create bases and let the fun begin!
Spring allows us a chance to see nature blooming and bright again after the cold of winter. The temperatures are just right for all your favorite outdoor activities. Don’t stay indoors this week get and start enjoying spring.
What outdoor activities are you planning this spring?