It’s March and the beginning of spring means the weather is warming up allowing more outdoor activities. Spring allows for more time for the family to do things together outdoors enjoying the weather and nature. Doing family activities together builds relationships and family memories you will share and reshare over time.
We enjoyed spring break last week planting gardens and landscaping our backyard. If your kids are on spring break or you just want to enjoy spring, these are great ideas for outdoor fun your whole family can enjoy during spring. Many of these ideas are inexpensive and will get your kids get outside and active.
Spring is a great time to spend a little extra time outside before the heat of summer. Here’s a list of ideas you can try this spring.
20 Best Spring Activities to Try
- Visit a local park and explore new nature trails. Exploring trails in parks can be fun. It’s like solving a mystery. Where does the trail lead and what will you find along the way? Make it more fun with a nature scavenger hunt along the way.
- Have a cookout and enjoy the sunset. About an hour before sunset, put your favorite dinner on the grill. Then enjoy your dinner and the sunset.
- Go fishing in the ponds or lakes near your home. Maybe catch something to cook for dinner. My kids love to go fishing. It’s become one of their favorite outside activities.
- Make your own Easter baskets and hunt Easter eggs (you only do this once a year on Easter, but you can repeat 2 or 3 times just for fun). Try to get your older children involved by including small amounts of change (nickels, dimes and quarters) in the eggs. One of my friends says putting money in the eggs could cost less than candy, and it’s better for their teeth.
- Visit the zoo. Look for new animals you haven’t seen before. Have a family challenge to see who can pronounce the scientific names of the animals best.
- Plant a spring garden. You can plant flowers, vegetables, or fruit. Choose your favorite flowers and update the flowerbeds at your home. Or start planting your own fruits and vegetables. Early spring is the perfect time to start a vegetable garden.
- Catch a butterfly on your finger. I did this the other day. A butterfly was trapped on my patio. I helped it get back out in the open. Be careful, you must keep your finger steady and be gentle the butterfly is delicate. They are fun to watch and interesting to study their different colors.
- Go to a drive-in movie or watch a movie outside on the lawn (if your community offers outdoor movie viewings). Take your lawn chairs and sit under stars while you enjoy your next movie.
- Camp-out in your backyard and identify the constellations and other celestial bodies in the sky.
- Pick spring flowers and make a bouquet (see how many different colors you can find).
- Chase fireflies after at dusk and watch them light up.
- Study the butterfly life cycle. Make a butterfly garden.
- Have a water balloon fight, try not to get wet. Water balloon fights are fun and an easy way to cool off if it’s a hot spring day.
- Roast marshmallows and eat smores on a campfire. After all your fun activities during the day, make a campfire and enjoy roasted marshmallows and smores.
- If it’s a windy day, fly your kites. See who can fly their kite the highest and keep it up in the air the longest.
- Water gun/nerf gun fights are always fun. Make teams, create bases and let the fun begin!
- Go on a bug search and see how many different types of bugs you can find.
- Decorate your sidewalk with sidewalk chalk or play hop scotch.
- Take a bike ride and try to enjoy all the bright spring colors.
- Make your own spring bucket list and start planning days to complete your list.
Spring allows us a chance to see nature blooming and bright again after the cold long winter. The temperatures are just right for all your favorite outdoor activities. Don’t stay indoors this week get and start enjoying the spring weather.
What outdoor activities are you planning this spring?