Are you tired of looking at your closet and thinking, “I have nothing to wear,” even though your closet is bulging with clothes, shoes, and accessories? The solution may be as simple as a capsule wardrobe.
The capsule wardrobe for women is a style of dress that involves picking a limited number of clothes and accessories to create pretty versatile outfits.
Capsule wardrobes are often used by people who travel frequently, have limited storage space, or have difficulty deciding what to wear. A well-planned and well-executed capsule wardrobe can support someone who wants to live a simplified, minimalist lifestyle.
The idea of the capsule wardrobe is far from new and has been around since the 1970’s when a London boutique owner, Susie Faux, coined the term. The capsule wardrobe offers women a classic, but definitive style.
What is a capsule wardrobe?
A capsule wardrobe is a collection of clothes that creates a versatile and complete look for various activities and events. The key is to choose clothes that match each other so you can mix and match them throughout the week without having to think too hard.
Why are Capsule Wardrobes so popular?
Capsule wardrobes are the way of the future because they reduce the number of decisions that need to be made about what to wear. They make it easier for people to get dressed quickly (especially for moms with kids).
Capsule wardrobes also require less space and you will have few (if any) items in your closet that are never worn or used. Rules for a capsule wardrobe would say if you don’t use it, it shouldn’t be in the closet (no more saying to yourself, “maybe I’ll use it someday).
Capsule wardrobes for women are becoming popular because they reduce decision paralysis on deciding what to wear and allow women to make the most of their wardrobes.
The Key Components of a Modern, Smart Capsule Wardrobe
The key components of a modern capsule wardrobe are versatile pieces that can be dressed up or down. You will have 8-10 tops or blouses that mix and match with 8-10 slacks, shorts, and jeans, then you can add accessories to make your outfit more casual or more dressy. It will depend on you to decide what the weather is for the day and your activities and to put together an outfit accordingly.
When starting a capsule wardrobe focus on buying versatile, quality pieces that can be mixed and matched with one another. This way, you’ll have a “capsule” full of already pre-coordinated outfits and won’t need to waste time deciding what to wear in the morning.
Depending on where you live, you can also have seasonal capsule wardrobes with some items only for summer and some you use in the winter. I live in Florida, so my wardrobe is mostly the same year-round.
10 Tips for Building a Capsule Wardrobe Today
1. Start with a list of three to five categories (tops, pants, accessories, underwear)
2. Identify what you want each category to include
3. Select items from your current wardrobe that will work with your new capsule wardrobe plan
3. Invest in pieces that can be mixed and matched
4. Shop from thrift shops, consignment stores, and discount stores
5. Clean out your closet regularly and don’t hold on to anything you haven’t worn in the last year
6. Be patient when shopping for clothes because it takes time for your wardrobe to evolve into something cohesive
7. Keep an updated list of all the items you own in a spreadsheet or document file on your computer, so that you know what you have before purchasing more clothing
9. Only buy items you really love and know you will use (i.e. don’t buy it just because it’s a good deal)
10. Choose items you can use in many settings (i.e. slacks you can make casual or dressy).
Conclusion: Make Clothes Do All the Work For You
A well-planned capsule wardrobe will make you look and feel great. It will only include clothing and accessories you love and want to wear.
With careful curation, you can have an amazing wardrobe with a limited number of items.
Get your Capsule Wardrobe checklist today and get started designing your new style.
PIN IT FOR LATER: