Simple Steps for Making Gift Baskets
Gifts baskets are a unique and personal gift. Gift baskets make a great gift when you can’t think of the perfect gift (you can make a chocolate bouquet or basket of fresh flowers). Gift recipients love gift baskets because you make them personal with a few of their favorite items. Learning how to make gifts baskets is easy. You don’t need to be a do-it-yourself expert or a crafty mom, just follow these simple steps and you will be making beautiful gift baskets.
You may be thinking that gift baskets are too difficult to make or you need to be a DIY expert to make them right, but don’t underestimate yourself. You can make simple gift baskets that look great following these easy steps.
How to Make Gift Baskets in 5 Easy Steps
Step 1 – Decide on the Theme of Your Basket
Start with a little brainstorming. While you are brainstorming the theme for your gift basket, don’t get overwhelmed and overthink it. Keep it simple. What are a few of this person’s favorite things? Do they love coffee? Do they enjoy reading books? Is chocolate their favorite treat? Here are a few ideas for gift basket themes:
- Coffee lovers basket (include assorted coffees, syrups, creamers, and more)
- Tea lovers basket (include assorted teas, creamers, sugars)
- Book lovers basket (include books by favorite author’s, gift cards, book markers)
- Body Washes & Lotions basket (include favorite body washes and lotions)
- Cookies and Treats (include favorite home baked cookies, brownies, cakes and more)
- Movie Night (include Redbox codes or a new movie, popcorn, hot cocoa)
- Kitchen Gadgets (include an assortment of kitchen gadgets like large spoons, spatula, etc… in a large colander)
- Dinner basket (include gift cards for dinner, free babysitting) or items to make a dinner like spaghetti and sauce and parmesan cheese
- A Nutty Basket (include candied nuts, shelled nut, all types of nuts)
- Chocolate lovers basket (include favorite chocolate candies and treats)
- A Basket of Fresh Flowers
- Fruit basket (include an assortment of fresh fruits like apples, bananas, oranges, pears and more…)
Step 2 – Gather Items to Include in Your Basket
Once you have selected your theme, you can gather the items you will include in the gift basket. Be sure to gather all the items you want to include in the gift basket before you purchase the basket.
Also, get the wrapping and decorations for your gift basket. Here are some items you might need:
- Cellophane paper
- Tissue paper
- Shredded paper (like used in Easter baskets)
- Bows & ribbons
Step 3 – Select Your Basket
Look at the items you have purchased to include in your basket. Check the sizes so you can decide what size basket you will need. I recommend purchasing the items for the basket, then getting the right sized basket. But you can purchase the basket first, and then just be sure the items you purchase fit the basket.
If you are short of time (or just don’t think you can make a pretty basket), you could also purchase a pretty gift bag and place all the items in a gift bag with pretty paper.
You might also like: 24 Days of Christmas Gift Ideas
Step 4 – Arrange All Items in Your Basket
It’s time to start assembling your gift basket.
- Place tissue paper or shredded paper on the bottom of your basket.
- Start placing the items in the basket. First, place the large items toward the back and add the smaller items in the front.
- Adjust and arrange the items as needed to get the “right” look.
Step 5 – Style and Decorate Your Basket
Last, you need to need finish styling your gifts. Take a step back and look at the basket. Does everything look right? Are all the tall items in the back? Do you have items equally displayed on both sides of the basket (it’s not lopsided)?
You can toss in a few wrapped candies just to add a little color.
Complete decorating the gift basket. You can wrap the entire basket in cellophane paper and tie it with a big fancy bow. Or you can add colorful tissue paper, big bows and pretty ribbons (this is what I do because it seems easier to me).
Making gift baskets is easy and doesn’t have to take a long time. Plan ahead and decide the theme of your gift basket, gather your materials, arrange your gift basket and style and decorate it. Now, you have a beautiful gift basket ready to be given to your gift recipient.
What type of gift baskets to you like to make?