A warm creamy wild rice and mushroom soup is one of my favorite soups. Homemade mushroom soups are so flavorful. Creamy soups are comforting and will warm you up on a cold winter’s day.
This soup has an especially satisfying, earthy taste that will make it one of your favorites. The wild rice makes it a filling soup, while the finely chopped vegetables give this soup a more consistent flavor throughout. One of the best parts is that some its “creaminess” comes from the pureed cannellini beans, rather than a larger amount of high-fat dairy products which allows you to enjoy this soup without worries about it being high in fat and calories.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 3-8 hours
1 c. uncooked multi-color wild rice blend*
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 small white onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled
12 oz. fresh mushrooms, washed, divided
1 15-oz. can cannellini beans, undrained**
1 whole bay leaf
2 t. garlic powder
6-8 c. vegetable stock, divided
Salt and black pepper, to taste
½ c. half and half, tempered***
¼ c. fresh parsley, finely chopped
Tips for Best Results:
*A multi-color wild rice blend will work best with this recipe. Avoid black rice as it will turn purple when the cream is added.
**To reduce salt, rinse and drain the beans in a little water before pureeing them.
***Avoid stirring cold dairy products directly into the hot soup to prevent curdling. Temper the half and half by adding a few spoonfuls of the hot soup to it before stirring into the slow cooker crock.
Recommended for you: Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup
Begin by Rinsing the wild rice under cold running water until water runs clear. Let drain and transfer to a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker crock.
- Finely mince the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic by adding them to a food processor and pulse until minced and then add to slow cooker crock.
- Next, add 8 oz. mushrooms to food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Thinly slice remaining mushrooms. Add all the mushrooms to slow cooker pot.
- Puree the cannellini beans until smooth and pour into slow cooker crock with other ingredients. Add 6 cups of vegetable stock to the crock pot, the bay leaf, and garlic powder. Season to taste with salt and black pepper, and stir to thoroughly mix all ingredients.
- Cover and cook for 3-4 hours on high or for 6-8 hours on low. Cooking times will vary depending on your slow cooker. Start checking for doneness after 2½ hours cooking on high (or 5½ hours cooking for low) and adjust cooking time accordingly. (The rice should be tender, but not mushy when finished).
- When cooking time is complete, remove and discard the bay leaf. Add tempered half and half and chopped parsley. If necessary, add the additional vegetable stock to reach the desired consistency. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- If desired, season with additional salt and black pepper and serve immediately. Enjoy!
This simple Creamy Wild Rice and Mushroom soup will quickly to a favorite at your house.
For more soup recipes, 25 Classic Soup Recipes.