What was your favorite movie growing up? Was there a movie you watched over and over again?
Looking back there were some great movies in the 80’s. Some of these movies are so good they are still making sequels for them today like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Ghostbusters.
One of my favorite things about movies are the movie quotes. Do you remember quoting famous movie lines like these:
“Bueller, Bueller” – I still quote this one when my kids aren’t paying attention and they just look at me funny (they have no connection to the movie or the quote).
“Wax on, wax off” – with the hand motions, of course.
“May the Force be with you.”
“E.T phone home”
Even though we have seen these movies a hundred times. It’s still fun today to watch these movies again. Sure, the graphics aren’t as awesome as today’s movies, but these classic storylines and characters are always great to watch.
Note: For your convenience, this post includes affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Great Movies from the 80’s – to watch again
- The Goonies (1985) My kids love this movie.
- Adventures in Babysitting (1987) One of my favorites, so funny.
- Back to the Future (1985) Time travel fun for everyone.
- Gremlins (1984) Who doesn’t love those adorable little furballs?
- The Little Mermaid (1989) Was this really the only princess movie Disney made in the 80’s?
- E.T. (1982) What E.T didn’t have an iPhone? How did he call home?
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986) While cutting school is not recommended, Ferris Bueller has a lot of fun on his “day off”.
- The Muppets Take Manhattan (1984) great fun for the younger kids.
- The Princess Bride (1987) I need to watch this movie myself. I have always heard it was a great movie.
- The Karate Kid (1984) Karate action and fun for everyone.
The list would not be complete if I did not mention Stars Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980), Stars Wars: Return of the Jedi (1983), Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981), Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984), and let’s not forget Ghostbusters (1985).
After you watch a movie together as a family, do you discuss it? What did you like? What did you dislike? What was missing? Then you will want to get the Family Movie Journal. It’s a fun journal to get together as a family a review every movie you watch. In this journal, you can share:
- What you liked and disliked about the movie?
- Something you learned from the movie
- Who starred in the movie
- What was your rating
- Favorite characters and why
- Movie genre
- Is it a movie you want to see again?
- Favorite quote from the movie
- and more…
A Family Movie Journal is a great way to make movie night more fun and memorable.
Next time you are planning a family movie night, instead of choosing the latest box office hit choose one of these great movies from the 80’s. It’ll be fun. You will enjoy a favorite movie from your childhood and your kids will get to watch a “classic” movie (at least a classic to them). Write down your favorite movie quotes and reviews in your Family Movie Journal.
What’s your favorite movie from the 80’s?
Paula Niziolek says
The Little Rascals is one of our favorite 80’s movie’s, but some of them from your list are in the top 10 for sure! Back to the Future, Little Mermaid…and we recently just moved away from Astoria, Oregon where The Goonies was filmed!
The Little Rascals is a fun movie too!