How to Improve Your Pinterest Reach
Do you love Pinterest? It’s so much fun to share ideas and “finds” on Pinterest. It’s a great place to relax and just see what great ideas and recipes others are sharing, right? What’s for dinner? Ask Pinterest. So many great recipes, all with mouth watering pictures. How to get a ketchup spot out of your child’s white shirt? Ask Pinterest. You will get hundreds of answers.
Did you know there are ways to have your content seen and shared by more people? There are classes and books written on this subject, but here are 10+ Pinterest tips you can use to make quick updates today to improve your Pinterest reach.
Top 10+ Pinterest Tips
Be sure your profile is completed.
You should have your name (or business name if you use Pinterest for business). If you use Pinterest for business, you can also have a Pinterest for Business account either by setting up a separate business account or by converting your personal account to a business account.
A profile picture of yourself. People will relate with you as a person. I also suggest using the same picture for all social media profiles. So if someone sees you on Pinterest and comes across a post on Facebook they might recognize your picture on both and start to get to know you.
It’s very important to complete the “About You” section. When people are searching on Pinterest or find one of your pins, they will look at the About You section (right under your name) to decide if you share content they would be interested in following. Be sure to give great reasons to follow you.
Your location information is also helpful especially if someone is doing a local search. On my profile, I don’t name the exact location where I live, just a general area (like New York City or Dallas/Fort Worth, TX area- not the actual place), but something more specific than New York or United States.
If you blog or have a website, be sure to include the website address. Then, get your website verified (meaning that Pinterest verified your are the owner of the website). You can get your website verified several ways. I used a WordPress Plugin – Pinterest Verify. You can also add a small snippet of code from Pinterest to your meta tag.
Edit and Update your Pinterest Boards
Creating a new board on Pinterest is very easy. Every time you want to pin you have the option to add a new board and give the board a name. However, if you want your boards to reach the right audience, they need to be edited for the best possible search results.
You can edit your boards from your profile. You will see all your boards listed and under your profile, each one says edit. Click the edit button on each board individually to make these changes.
Here’s some simple edits to make to your boards:
- The board name should be simple and descriptive of the board (don’t be fancy or try puns – think about the words someone would use in a search engine if they were looking for this content).
- Choose a great eye-catching pin for the cover. Look at everything you have pinned in to your boards. Does one pin standout and catch your eye? Make this pin your cover on the board.
- Remove any content from the board that does not fit the theme or put it on a different board.
- The description for every board is important. Be sure you write a short and clear description for each board using key words that work for searching.
- Every board should have a category. Pinterest has a number of preset categories for you to select. Every board should have a category selected (if Pinterest does not offer the exact category you want, try to find something close).
- Organize your boards. Top boards first, seasonal theme boards next, group boards last.
- Review and update your boards every few months.
A Word About Group Boards
If you are looking to extend the reach of your pins and build your audience, Group Boards are a great option. When you find a group board in the description there is usually information for how to be added as a contributor to the group board. If you are looking for specific topics, you can go to Pin Groupie. Here’s a secret I am putting deep in this post to see if you read it, I find the best way to find new group boards is look at the group boards that other bloggers in your niche use and try to be added to those boards.
Consider Using Rich Pins
Rich Pins enhance the pins you post on Pinterest. To use rich pins, you must have a website or blog that Pinterest can verify. The process is very simply. Pinterest has a Rich Pin page, read the instructions on this page and after you have made any needed edits to your website or blog, enter a sample URL for Pinterest to verify. Once your pin is verified, when you post new pins, your pins will be created as Rich Pins.
Want more tips for mom bloggers? Join the Smart Mom Blogging Tips email list. Only the best blogging tips for mom bloggers.
What are your best Pinterest tips?
Leave a Reply