My children don’t like to do their homework. They have more reasons and excuses for not completing homework after school than I could imagine.
If your child struggles with focus or just completing simple homework tasks, here’s some ideas to complete homework with less struggle:
- Try to work for 10-15 minutes and then have a short break. Maybe get a drink or eat a snack. Then come back and complete the assignment.
- Complete homework in the morning before school.
- For children that like to move (i.e. cannot sit still), it’s okay to let them stand up to complete their homework or assignments.
- Break larger tasks or assignments into smaller parts. If you have a project or assignment, don’t wait to the last day to start.
- Offer motivation. If your children will complete all their homework without a fuss or struggle, you can offer to play their favorite game or watch their favorite show with them (just make sure you have time to play the game or watch the TV show when homework is done).
All children are different. Frequently it’s trial and error to find methods that work best with each of your children.