Favorite Books for Young Readers
Do you have a child that loves to read? New books are a great Christmas gift to encourage more reading and continue developing the important skill of reading. Fortunately, there are hundreds of great books for kids that love to read.
A Few Tips for Picking Books
- Make sure the book is age appropriate. When selecting a book, you don’t want to choose a book that’s too easy or too challenging. You also want to be careful about selecting books with content that might not be appropriate for your child.
- If you child has a favorite author, choose more books from this author. I remember even as a I child if I found a favorite author, I would try to read all the books by that author (and I still do today).
- If you child has favorite topics (like science or history), look for books on these subjects that will interest them. Maybe your child loves early American history. You could find new books that might have new and interesting information about American history.
- It’s a good idea to give reluctant readers books too. Even if your child doesn’t enjoy reading, you can still give them one book and maybe read it together.
- If your child is still in the early stages of reading or your have children of several different ages, you can read a book together aloud. It’s a great way to grow your child’s imagination.
Favorite Children’s Books for All Ages
Tweens & Teens
- Little House the Prairie
- Nancy Draw Books
- Hardy Boys Books
- The Secret Garden
- Beverly Cleary books (my favorites growing up)
- Anne of Green Gables (complete collection)
- Little Women
- The Hobbit
- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Reading is an important skill in school and also a great hobby. Encourage your children to read with some of these great books.
What books are your children reading? What are your children’s favorite books?