Gratitude Changes Your Day
How do you start your day? What are the first things you think about? Have you considered how having a grateful heart and attitude will change your daily outlook? A gratitude journal is a great way to start your day with an attitude of gratefulness.
Have you started your day before when things don’t go right? Your kids don’t get ready on time, the dog runs out the door, you can’t find your car keys. When these things happen at the beginning of our day, it’s easy to start thinking negatively about the day.
But, rewind the tape (or the DVD or electronic video), let’s start the day again. Let’s start the day with gratitude. Taking just a few minutes to write down one or two things we are grateful for. If you start to do this every day, you will notice a change in your attitude and perspective. It’s hard to be angry and upset for long with a grateful spirit.
Note: this post may include affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
If you don’t already have one, a gratitude journal is a great way to remind yourself to be grateful and keep track of all the wonderful things you have to be grateful for.
[bctt tweet=”A gratitude journal can change your daily perspective. Choose to be grateful today!” username=”smartmomideas”]
3 Benefits of a Gratitude Journal
Forces us to Focus on Our Blessing, not Our Disappointments
We all have disappointments in our life, it’s part of life. But a gratitude journal will help you stop focusing on your disappointment and see your blessings. Over time, you should be able to re-read your journal entries and see with amazement how God has worked through your life.
Stop Comparing Ourselves to Others
Being grateful means we recognize our own value and importance. We don’t need to compare ourselves with others. We each have our own path and journey to walk. Don’t assume that because someone “appears” to you to “have it all” their life is perfect.
You might also like: 3 Amazing Benefits of Daily Song & Praise
Focus on your blessings and don’t worry about others.
Reduced Stress and Worry
Finally, when we focus on being grateful we will have less stress and worry. It’s hard to be worried all the time when we are being grateful. Worry and stress and usually signs of being too focused on ourselves.
Being grateful will show you the many blessings you have been given and when you feel that stressed or worried, you can be confident your troubles will not overwhelm the One who has given you so much.
Tips for Starting a Gratitude Journal
You can start a gratitude journal today. Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Just get a simple spiral notebook and start writing what you are grateful for. If you prefer, you can use a pretty journal like this One Minute Gratitude Journal or this Inspirations, Gratitude Journal that asks you questions and gives you prompts to write about.
- You can also what you are grateful for in your daily planner. I have an extra space at the bottom of my planner that I will be using to write what I am grateful for each day.
- Choose a time to write down your thoughts. If you write in your gratitude journal about the same time every day, you are more likely to make it a habit.
- Don’t over think it when you write in your gratitude journal. Some days you may have many deep and profound feelings to write, other days your feelings may be simple. The goal is to help us all have a grateful spirit by reminding ourselves daily of our many blessings.
- Review your journal from time to time (especially on the days you feel sad and negative) to see the many blessing you have been given.
Starting a gratitude journal will have many benefits including helping you focus on your blessings, stop comparing yourself to others and reducing your worry and stress. So, go start your gratitude journal today.
Do you have a gratitude journal? How has writing a gratitude journal changed your life?